I’ve been YouTubing the wide world of meal prep lately. And per usual, craving Mexican. I wandered over to Trader Joes and stumbled upon the MOST beautiful bell peppers and I settled on making a Chicken Fajita Marinade recipe. It’s simple and cooks fast- so important for weeknight meals. Since I am corn-free I usually do a salad style taco-burrito-fajita which fit right in with my meal prep obsession, voila, my best ever Chicken Fajita Bowls were born. The chicken fajita marinade recipe is absolutely delicious. I am also including how I made my chicken fajita bowl – platters and meal prep with the leftovers down below.
#AllergicToEverything® Chicken Fajita Marinade Recipe
An easy to whip up on a weeknight marinade for allergen-free fajitas.
- 1 pound Chicken breast, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt. to taste
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced or grated (I used frozen garlic cubes from TJs)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil + more for pan
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 medium Limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh cilantro (optional, I was out..)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste (or sub dried ginger)
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder (see in notes)
Chop up the chicken and season well with salt. Set aside while you made the marinade. See note on how I used Adobo seasoning and salt for this.
In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the chicken and cover. Let it sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes or put it in the fridge for 1-3 hours.
Once marinading time is up, remove the chicken. Optional: save the sauce to reduce it or toss it, most of the flavor is in your chicken so it is totally up to you!
- To season your chicken before adding the marinade you can use Adobo all-purpose seasoning with or without additional sea salt. I used Adobo all-purpose seasoning + a pinch of sea salt directly on chicken and it was fabulous, perfectly seasoned.
- Ancho Chili Powder is made from Poblanos. This is the first time I have used it and was delicious.
- I love these Pyrex Bowls for marinading, lunches, and general food storage. These are the sets I have:
I tried the Southwestern Chopped Salad mix from Trader Joe’s for the first time with this recipe. It is a salad in a bag kit so it comes with dressing, cheese, and crunchy toppings, however, I decided to save those to use another time. I was really happy with the crunch of the cabbage and romaine in the blend. It went perfectly with the chicken fajita marinade recipe and the crunch of the fajita veggies. When I went to meal prep I remembered the crunchy toppings and threw them into Joaquin’s lunch bowl (see the picture below). Lucky for him, I am allergic to corn so they were all his. If I remember correctly it was a pepita – corn chip blend. As for the dressing and cheese, I still have it waiting for an easy lazy salad day.
#AllergicToEverything® Chicken Fajita Bowls (or Platters) Recipe
A simple and satisfying easy to make weeknight meal. If you are cooking for two this is enough for dinner and lunch the next day!
- 1 lb Chicken breast (already marinated), see recipe in notes
- 1 medium Red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 medium Green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium Onion, sliced into strips
- Sea salt, season to taste
- 1 can Black beans w jalapeno (I found these at TJs)
- Sour cream
- Feta cheese
- 1 medium Jalapeno, sliced (for the spice lovers)
- 1/2 medium Lime, sliced for garnish
- Cabbage romaine salad mix (I found this at TJs, you can also just use chopped cabbage and romaine lettuce)
- Beanitos (crunchy chip for those allergic to corn)
- Middle eastern flatbread or tortillas of your choice (optional for non-allergics)
Heat a splash of Avocado oil in a pan on high, add marinated chicken (see recipe link in the notes), saute 5 minutes.
Add the onion and peppers, saute 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with lemon or lime juice (or serve wedges as a garnish).
Serve salad or platter style over the cabbage-romaine mix, or if you aren't allergic, over tortillas or flatbread. Add the toppings of your choice.
- Scroll up for my Fajita Marinade Recipe.
- These are the Meal Prep Containers we use for lunches.
- Beanitos are my go-to corn chip replacer. I buy them in 6-packs on Amazon to save money. The pinto bean Beanitos are my favorite flavor; I also like the black and white bean versions so I buy whatever is priced the best.
Unfortunately, I did not get a great shot of the final product, it was just one of those days, never the less, they really were delicious. I served the Fajitas over a cabbage romaine salad mix, with Beanitos and salsa, guacamole, sour cream, plus jalapeno black beans with a little feta on top.
Chicken Fajita Bowl Meal Prep Recipe
I decided to try out using our new meal prep containers to use the leftovers for lunches the next day. They weren’t quite as successful – I realized a little too late that being able to reheat the beans and chicken fajita filling would have been better. So… next time I will store those separate from the salad base. If you are interested in the meal prep containers we bought, you can find them on Amazon here (they are also linked in the recipe notes).
Recipe Source: AllergicToEverything.life. All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you.